Monday, March 30, 2015

Motivation, Montessori, management and GenX


I respectfully disagree. This is great for the greatest generation (Drucker was in this generation or older). It kinda lets folks off the hook for their own tasks. If the manager is responsible then the worker should reap no benefit of the work, only the manager. 
As a Montessori teacher for 9 years, I still believe that people should be intrinsically motivated by the tasks they are doing. Therefore, their work is their responsibility as is how they feel about it. 
As a GenX manager of baby boomers, one greatest generation and a millennial, with a GenX boss, I go into work assuming everyone is self motivated about their work. Their production is not my responsibility. It's theirs. I think them function and overall production is a shared responsibility between me and them. I have my own production that I am responsible for. 
I struggle with production in my greatest generation employee. Maybe I should take this approach rather than keep being frustrated. After all, we are only ever a product of our times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment