Thursday, June 14, 2012

Coloring


Today I will leave work a little early to go watch my niece have her second day of gymnastics.  During family dinner night on Tuesday, she came over to me as things were breaking up, threw her arms around me and did what she has not done in years – cuddled with me.  She was still wearing her leotard from her first day at the gym.  With tired eyes, she asked me if I would come today to watch her.  How can I say no to that?

A few months ago, I had the honor of being invited out to the East Coast for a job interview.  Things went really well, and I was confident about the match between my skills & experience and their expectations for the person filling their position.  Then came the big HOWEVER.  Immediately upon landing at the airport, I had a feeling settle right in my gut that this was not the thing for me.  Even though on the surface, things looked and felt really good.  When I got back, I spent the evening with my brother’s family and had the thought – If I go out there to this job, I won’t get to experience this.  The little moments coloring with my niece, listening to my nephew explain all of the various vehicles in Halo and how to get them and drive them and what they look like…, cooking with my sister-in-law, having impromptu lunches with my brother, and seeing all of the family who come down to take their kids to games and camp.

One of my life’s priorities is cultivating relationships with family and friends.  There is no question that for me, to cultivate my relationship with my family, this is the place for me.  So I will gush over my niece today, grouse about the weather with my sister-in-law and have lunch with my brother today.  What a wonderful life!

No comments:

Post a Comment