Friday, June 8, 2012

5 and 5


Wow – Starting a new week of workouts at 5 a.m. AND starting a new job (my first 8-5 job ever and my first full time job in two years) is a killer.  I’ve been making it ok until 5 p.m. every day, even spreading out my water and calorie intake enough that I don’t feel crazy hungry when I get home.  When my alarm buzzed at me at 5 a.m. this morning, the devil on my left shoulder and the angel on my right shoulder had a long conversation, and I turned over to my left for another hour and a half of sweet rest which was punctuated with my typical alarm-free alarm clocks on the highwires outside my window – the choir of mockingbirds and mourning doves that are there every day.

The first sleep-in usually portends a longer stopping period for my workouts – like several weeks of sleeping that extra hour and a half.  When I was teaching, this used to happen during the end of April or beginning of May when I was tired and ready for the school year to be over, and I would not pick back up until I got ready for the next school year to begin. Honestly, it was always kind of nice to look at myself in the mirror during June and July and gradually see the need for a daily work out slowly become evident again – if you know what I mean.

I think that to be the person I want to be I need to be working out on a regular basis, and if that means I stay with it year-round because I have a different kind of job now, then that’s what it means.  But at the same time, I just don’t have the stamina yet to wake up every day at 5 and also work from 8 to 5.  Maybe four days a week is ok this week – maybe the third and fourth days will be my great acts of faith for this week.  I know that I have a go-to-the-gym workout with a friend tomorrow before the crack of dawn so that’s insurance.  I also have this weekend off from working out, so that’s a longer period of rest that is upcoming.  I guess Rome wasn’t built in a day – and work/work out stamina isn’t built that way either.

In the spirit of keeping my bigger goals and reasons for working out in mind:

1.       I want to lose about 15 pounds

a.       So that I feel comfortable in the clothes that I currently own

b.      So that I feel confident about any swimsuit opportunity/invitation

c.       So that I can maintain my ideal about my belly not sticking out past my boobs

d.      So I am lower on health-risk indicators (although I’m beginning to think that BMI is a crock of crap from the 1950’s – I’m in the level marked “obese” even when I’m at my fittest)

2.       I want to be a disciplined and focused person

a.       So that I can achieve the things I want to achieve

b.      So that I can feel successful at work

c.       So that I can have time and money to play

3.       I don’t want to be perceived as lazy, sad and fat because although I have my moments, they are not who I am most of the time. 

4.       I want to develop a consistent workout attitude now so that when I am older, I don’t lose function because I don’t work out

a.       I want to keep my muscles and mind sharp

b.      I want to be living independently and healthily for as long as possible

c.       I want to experience what life has to offer at many ages in the future even though I have not fully done that at past ages

With those things said, I feel a little more motivated again - too bad I need to leave for work in 30 minutes and can’t hit the weights right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment