Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Don’t Hate Me Because I’m Beautiful


My strongest muscle group, and my favorite to work out, is legs.  My friend was showing off the results of his intense calf work the other day, and I knew not to reciprocate because my genes have gifted me with miraculously gorgeous calves.  Jealousy often follows this kind of conversation because of this, and I have to defer to the “Thanks, Dad” sheepish comment I always make.  The dreaded look of “I hate you” inevitably follows.  My mind immediately flashes to that Pantene commercial where she flips her hair and says in her ambiguously foreign accent – perhaps people feel that foreign beauty is somehow better than domestic beauty – “Don’t hate me because I’m beautiful” – just be the best you that you can be.   

This workout today – Lower Body Extreme Zone – is 40 minutes of the best of what will make it painful for me to walk the stairs today and tomorrow to my 2nd floor office.  Quads, hams, abductors – lunges, dead lifts and squats.  I don’t often feel this way, but 30 minutes later during my awesome breakfast, my muscles are still tired (fried egg on Ezekiel toast, avocado and mandarin oranges if you were wondering).  I always feel like I’ve really accomplished something when I finish that workout because it’s one of the series that always challenges me. 

Sometimes it’s hard for me to get excited about another set of bicep curls or shoulder presses.  My body seems to think that upper body muscle is a really good idea (Thanks, again, Dad) – which it is to an extent, but developing giantific man arms is not my goal.  This is yet another reason why putting my attention into legs is beneficial for my overall approach to my aesthetic. It’s hard enough to find shirts to fit the balance between my shoulders and waist as it is without adding muscle.  If beauty is pain, then the sweaty face in the mirror with avocado stuck to the corner of my mouth and no gas in the tank – that’s beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment