Friday, June 8, 2012

Such a Great Cloud of Witnesses…

In the Bible in the book of Hebrews, the writer lists all of these great people from the Old Testament, describing how they were full of faith.  That writer remembers the folks who were renowned for great things – Moses for bringing the Israelites out of Egypt, for example.  When I think of great folks from the Old Testament, I think of David.  What’s the first thing I think of with him?  The Bathsheba incident in which he slept with her and killed her husband – drama ensued. 


During my workout this morning, the instructor urged us to find someone in the class whose energy was inspiring and we should match the energy of that person.  That often works for me until I start thinking about the emerging blister on my big toe, how much my heel hurts or how loud I’m being and the lady downstairs is still in bed.  I do have my favorite people that I watch, especially since most of my workouts are videos.  I’ve been doing the BeachBody thing long enough that I know exactly the one in the video who will screw up at exactly what point.  It kinda makes me feel better when I either screw up myself or when I hit the choreography when they miss it. 


So, why do I remember the screwups and not the ones who did it right all the time?  I do think it makes me feel better when I see someone who is not perfect.  But that does in some small way give me “permission” not to be perfect.  In one way, both fitness and faith seem more attainable because of those who are not perfect, but at the same time, if the writer of Hebrews is putting up examples of folks whose faith was enough – shouldn’t we be looking at them as examples of how to really “arrive”? 


It seems like all of the people listed in Hebrews did great acts of faith.  What about their day to day lives – surely they screwed up and went through phases where they felt the blah’s about all things faith.  Surely those great acts were both preceded and followed by times when they didn’t measure up to the perfect faith standard they are known for because of their one great act. 


Both fitness and faith are more than just one great act – they are the input and outcome of consistent choices.  They are the input and outcome of choosing to get back on track after the screw up.  I want to be the kind of person whose screwups and great acts are both remembered.  I don’t think you can have one without the other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment